IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Welcome to Ginga board
Members must read the board rules before posting.

GingaSite | Free Image Galleries | Link to us | Board Masterlist | Futago Shop
Ginga Archives: Tracon 2011 | Animecon 2012

Year 6: Issue 5 of The Ginga Guardian is now online!

New Fan Section Manager Wanted!

Closed TopicStart new topic
> The Ginga Guardian - Year 4: Issue 1
Ginga Guardian
post Jan 3 2012, 04:38 AM
Post #1

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 711

Year 4: Issue 1: January 2012

Welcome to the thirty-fifth issue of The Ginga Guardian!

We would like to wish you all a happy new year! In this issue you will find a colored pencil tutorial, a review of a video from Tracon's Ginga Nagareboshi Gin exhibition, an article with scans about chapter four of Anju to Jiromaru and more! We hope you enjoy the first issue of 2012!

Please be warned that this newspaper is image-heavy, so please be patient for the images to load fully. There should be plenty of text for you to read in the meantime!

The Ginga Guardian depends on the support and submissions of our members, so if you enjoy this issue, please consider contributing to the Ginga Guardian in whatever way you can, to keep the newspaper alive!

Thank you so much everyone! Enjoy!

Sincerely,
The Ginga Guardian Editor

Staff
Flann - Ginga Guardian creator
Crystal - GG Manager and Editor
Animaymay95 - GG Assistant, Article
Arano - Graphic and banner designer; Horoscopes, Ask Arano Anything
Yougurt - GingaBoard owner, Scan provider
Kasi - Scanlation page cleaner
QianHou - Ginga Translations

This Month's Contributors
Tora - Article
39-TheWolf - In The Spotlight
GNG - Fan Work Review
GingaPawZ - Ginga Comic
Wolfie - Prize Donation
GingaFreak23 - Advertisement

Main Page
Ginga Features
Fan Section
At Your Service
Contests
Advertisements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ginga Guardian
post Jan 3 2012, 04:39 AM
Post #2

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

See what GingaBoard members have to say! Here, members share their knowledge and express their opinions on a variety of topics. If you would like to add your knowledge or opinion to the paper, or if you would like to respond to or present another side to an issue raised here, please feel free to submit something! You can discuss the paper and its contents in the Ginga Guardian Discussion Topic.

Colored Pencil Tutorial
by Animaymay95

First, a crash course in coloring! The three lines you see are the different pencil pressures - hard pressure, medium pressure, and light pressure.

The blue and red are blended together. I first took blue and started coloring with hard pressure and gradually went to light, creating a gradient effect. I then took my red and did the same thing. All I did was overlap into the blue. I then took a lilac/light purple and used hard pressure coloring horizontally giving a nice blended effect. This is one of the basic techniques and can be used in a variety of ways.

The overlapping circles are how you are going to be coloring. You take your pencil and you color making tiny overlapping circles to get the smoothest possible effect. These are just some basics. Don't be afraid to experiment! Practice makes perfect!

Here, I have my lineart all ready to go, and as you can tell I am drawing Gin! I am using Bristol board because it can hold a lot of color and won't tear. Make sure you use thick paper and try to stay away from computer paper. Also make sure you have no pencil marks left! Sometimes, if you press too hard while doing your sketch and you erase all your lines after doing the lineart, once you start to color, the lines will show through because the colored pencil can't get any pigment into the tiny crevices created from pressing too hard into the paper while sketching. You might want to try doing a sketch, but creating the lineart on a different piece of paper, that way you will have the best coloring results.

I tested out colors and color combinations on a separate piece of paper. I also have a reference of Gin so I can get his color right. I had to blend a grey with a blue to get the right color, so I tested out the blending to make sure I got the colors right before hand.

Once I found the colors I was going to use, I created a color guide for myself. I used the colors "Cool grey 30% and Blue Violet Lake" for the body, "French grey 90%" for the shading, "Raspberry", "Tuscan Red" and "Pink Rose" for the scar, "Black", "Dark Umber", "Light Umber", and Yellow Ochre" for the eyes, "Light umber", "Espresso", and "Yellow Ochre" for the collar and "Pink rose", "Raspberry" and "Tuscan red" for the mouth.

I started laying down the base color "Cool Grey 30%" using medium pressure. It's okay if it looks a tad choppy, blending will fix that!

I take my "Blue Violet Lake" and use medium pressure to go over the grey.

Using hard pressure, I go over the two layers of grey and blue with my "Cool Grey 30%". I use hard pressure to blend and move the pigment into each other. You always want to save using hard pressure blending for last as is removes the "tooth" (the rough-ish part of the paper that holds the pigment). You are pushing the tooth down flat, thus making it easy for all the colors to blend. Unless you have a Workable Fixative spray (adds tooth back onto the paper), than you can't draw anything more on top of the layer because the paper cannot hold any more pigment.

I have created the perfect color for Gin! Now I am using my finger to rub the hard edge of the color and give it a softer look.

I use "Raspberry" with light pressure to color the base of the scar

Using "Pink Rose", I use hard pressure and go over the raspberry color, creating the perfect shade for his scar

I take my black pencil and outline details in the pupil. I then use hard pressure and color the pupil all black.

I take "Light Umber" and lightly color the base.

I take "Dark Umber" and use medium pressure at the top of the iris.

I take medium pressure and go over the dark and light umber again using my "Light Umber" pencil.

I take my "Yellow Ochre" and use medium pressure blending the dark and light umber even more. I am satisfied with the eyes so now I am going to start the mouth!

I take "Raspberry" and color in the base color, then I use "Tuscan Red" where the shadows will go (inside the mouth is dark already so I didn't use too much shadow). I use "Raspberry" and color over the shading to blend.

I use "Pink Rose" for the tongue. I color in the base color with light pressure

I take "Pink Rose" and use medium pressure for the shadows and color it again with light pressure. I blended it with my finger a little bit too.

With light pressure, I use "Espresso" for the base

I use hard pressure and color over "Espresso" with "Light Umber".

I use "Yellow Ochre" and with hard pressure, color in the buckle. I also finished the collar off. We're almost done here, so hang tight!

Finally, I do the shading! I think about where the shadows will go and think of a light source. The light is shining more behind Gin. I take "French Grey 90%" and gradient shade using hard pressure, slowly switching to light. I then smudge with my finger. You really have to play around with the techniques to see what works best for you when you shade. I hope this guide is helpful! Remember to always practice, and even if yours didn't turn out perfect, it's about the effort and feeling you put into the piece! Give yourself a pat on the back for even trying this. Good luck!

Anju to Jiromaru Project
by Tora

These last months I've had the idea of doing a project to be active in the GG again, and when I got my copy of Ginga Densetsu Anju to Jiromaru I saw my chance. Starting from Year 3: Issue 10, I will scan one chapter for each issue and talk through what I can read by the pictures. It's ten chapters in all and an epilogue. Since I don't know the names of most of the characters, I will use "Woman", "Grandpa", "Lady", "Uncle" and words like that. You may not use the entire pages for free use, only for personal and make reference here on GB, but I allow taking characters out and putting them in the FIG.

Chapter 4:

Mailman follows Jiromaru up in the mountains. He has a hard time getting up, but finally he's up and calls for Jiromaru who barks further down to make Mailman climb down. When Mailman starts to climb down, Jiromaru discovers a paw under a rock. It's his mother Yuki's hind paw! She really had bit it off herself to get back to him, his siblings and Anju. At the same time Mailman discovers Grandpa's body at the bottom. Jiromaru is the first to get to the body and licks him. While Mailman cries, Jiromaru feels something bad in the wind.

Rescuers are called, photos are taken and Grandpa's body is taken back to the house. Anju cries over Grandpa's body while Mailman talks to her. After some time, Grandpa's body is taken away, and Anju tries to follow, but Mailman grabs her and she hits him while crying. When the cars leave, Anju frees herself and starts to run after the cars with the four puppies after her. When she runs over the grass, she stumbles and falls causing her shoes to come off. Anju just sits there in the grass towards the sunset where the cars went and cries her heart out, while Jiromaru picks up one of her shoes.

Page 32 (last page from last Issue)
Page 33
Page 34
Page 35
Page 36
Page 37
Page 38
Page 39
Page 40
Page 41

Chapter five will be in the next issue! Happy reading!

An Interview with 39-TheWolf

If you're comfortable with it, could you tell us a little about yourself? (What country you're from, how old you are, what you like to do, etc)
Well I'm an American, born and raised in southern California. I'm 20 years old and have many hobbies reading, writing, and of course art. I enjoy watching anime, television, and movies.

How and when did you become interested in the Ginga series?
That would be thanks to my best friend Shiganamakyoushiro. She found it by accident and got me to watch it, and when I did I really enjoyed it, since I've loved dogs since I was three when I lived with my uncle, a veteran with a trained German Shepherd named Smokey.

How did you discover GingaBoard?
Again, that thanks go to Shiganamekyoushiro. She bugged me to join, so I did, and have had fun ever since.

Which of Yoshihiro Takahashi's works are your favorite, and why?
I would say Ginga Nagareboshi Gin. I love the idea of the bond between man and dog. Also the incredible heroism displayed in some of the characters I've found as inspiration for my own characters.

Who is your favorite character in the Ginga series, and why?
I think I will have to go with John. I've loved German Shepherds for a very long time. John, even though he was a smart ass and a hot head, always had a strange charm to him, and I cried quite a lot during his final scenes in GDW.

How long have you been drawing?
Ever since I could pick up a crayon, but it wasn't until I was introduced to Pokemon in the third grade when I really tried to draw something with true form and structure. At the time it was all about Charizard, still one of my personal favorites.

What kind of tools do you use for Legend of the Moon?
I use Mangastudio for the most part, but am now using a combination of Mangastudio and Photoshop, and hopefully I can release some fully colored pages. My new pages are completely done in Photoshop.

What inspires you?
A lot of things. A great amount of inspiration comes from whatever I find interesting like books, cartoons, anime, movies, and especially music; a variety of them can be used as great basis for any point of inspiration. Funny enough the artist Yuumei on deviantart, I went to high school with her and have always been a bit jealous of her skills. Instead of giving up, I try to better myself so one day I can match, or even beat her.

Do you have any tips for those who want to create their own comic?
My best advice would be if you have a character ask the question "why". Any character, no matter what if you ask "why" about things and try to come up with answers you'll always find something interesting. It also adds to the story when a character does something and you find your own reasons for it, to give character's motivations. Asking questions about your own characters and situations gives a story depth as you find solutions to those questions. Be creative about it as well. You can give a character basic motivations, but if you continue to ask "why" at some small things, you can create such a fascinating character. Art can come second. A good story can surpass art any day, though nice art is fun to look at.

Do you collect anything?
Of course I do, I'm an Otaku. I love collecting manga and anime of series I enjoy.

Do you have any pets?
I currently have one dog named Skye, though my siblings recently won a couple goldfish.

What is your favorite Japanese food?
It's so hard to choose, I love a lot of Japanese cuisine. I'll say mochi ice cream.

Is there anything you would like to add?
Find your own path and do what you love. Life may be tough but never let it get you down. And please stay tuned and help keep my spirits up as I try and finish up the newest installment of LOTW... RW...

+Quote Post
Ginga Guardian
post Jan 3 2012, 04:40 AM
Post #3

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

From the latest and greatest to the old and vintage, come read about what's out there in the world of Ginga! If you would like to submit a review or a bit of news for this section, please see our Submissions Topic. You can discuss the paper and its contents in the Ginga Guardian Discussion Topic.

Ginga Densetsu Weed Studio Sheets ($41.00)
Ginga Densetsu Weed Artbook ($59.99)
Ginga Densetsu Weed Gin Figure ($26.50)
Ginga Densetsu Weed: Meishoubu Retsuden ($17.99)
Set of two Ginga Nagareboshi Gin trading cards ($3.99)
Shounen Jump featuring Shiroi Senshi Yamato ($119.99)
Ginga Densetsu Riki manga ($19.99)
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin Ben figure ($0.99 starting bid)

Ginga Nagareboshi Gin merchandise exhibition @ Tracon VI by Emmhyv
by GNG

The video is made by a Finnish Ginga fan filming and taking photos of a Ginga merchandise exhibition in Tampere, Finland at Tracon VI. This exhibition was due to Yoshihiro Takahashi's visit in Finland as an honour guest from September 3rd to September 4th 2011. In the video you see stuff like GNG mangas, GDW mangas, GDW anime, figures, plushies and more.

When I see this, I wish I could have been there myself. I liked most of it, but my favourites would probably be the Riki plush, the Weed plush above the Riki one, the posters, GDW lighters, DVD covers and the Yamato merchandise. I couldn't see any of the original GNG manga, so if I could change anything I would add some of them to the exhibition.

+Quote Post
Ginga Guardian
post Jan 3 2012, 04:40 AM
Post #4

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

Fans of the Ginga series express their appreciation in many creative ways. Here you can find a few different types of fan expression! Some of the Ginga Guardian's comics are ongoing so the next installment will appear in the next issue. To send us links to your favorite artwork or to submit your original comics, please see our Submissions Topic. You can discuss the paper and its contents in the Ginga Guardian Discussion Topic.

This issue's featured Ginga artwork is all done by the artist Sashra on DeviantART. Click on the thumbnails to see the full-size pictures.

by GingaPawZ_____________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Ginga Guardian
post Jan 3 2012, 04:42 AM
Post #5

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

If you need some advice or some general guidance, look no further! The "Ask Akame" advice column is for any member who needs advice, especially if they want it anonymously. If you want to ask Akame a question, see the Ask Akame Topic for more details. The horoscopes are bits of general advice from the Ginga character that best represents your horoscope sign. You can discuss the paper and its contents in the Ginga Guardian Discussion Topic.

Ask Arano Anything

Arano, the Alaskan Malamute, is the character of a GingaBoard Admin. Arano's thirst for knowledge is never quenched, and now he is turning to the members of GingaBoard for his next intellectual adventure. All you have to do is ask him a question (could be why, how, what) and he will answer your question - however difficult - in the next edition of the Ginga Guardian. See this topic to find out how to Ask Arano Anything!

This Month's Questions and Answers

GingaFreak23: Why was the great goddess Amaterasu portrayed as a wolf in the game Okami?
The game takes different aspects of Shinto legends; it is purely the game creators choice to have the main character you play to be a wolf (who is the re-incarnation of the game's entirely fictional story of the wolf Shiranui, the name of which is a Japanese term for "supernatural phenomenon"). There is no wolf element in the real story of Amaterasu, who is portrayed as a beautiful woman and is the Goddess of the Sun and the Universe.

GingaPawZ: Why does our feet/arm/hands fall "asleep"?
You have this sensation if you've been sat for too long, standing or putting pressure on a part of your body for a long time, like unknowingly laying on your own arm in your sleep. What happens is that you cut off the nerve impulses from your brain to that part of your body, because you're essentially squeezing your nerves to a point where those impulses can't get through properly. This is why you suddenly find you have no feeling, because your brain can't tell it what to do!

DeathWolf: Can a dog sense their owner with not just their smell?
No, a dog's sense of smell is the most developed and most vital out of all senses. We need it to identify you, other people, environment, other animals, everything! And I bet you didn't know that our sense of taste is so low, we need our sense of smell to tell whether we like what we're eating or not. That's why we appear to like the "taste" of human food... it just smells so good!

Musica: Who decided that Christmas should be on the 25th of December?
It was the Western Christian Church who first placed Christmas (Jesus' birth) on this day, and there are two theories as to why. It falls on exactly nine months after the Christian celebration of Jesus' conception (Annunciation), and is also the date of the Roman winter solstice.

Blue Horse: What is the 4th most populated country?
Indonesia. The top three are then the USA ranking third, India second, and China tipping the scale at over 1,300,000,000 people.

Please check back later for the horoscopes!

+Quote Post
Ginga Guardian
post Jan 3 2012, 04:43 AM
Post #6

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

Ginga Haiku Contest

Introduction
Write a Ginga-related haiku!

Your Task
Write a haiku about anything Ginga-related! It can be about a character, a fight scene, merchandise etc. A haiku consists of the first verse being five syllables, the second verse being seven syllables, and the third verse five Syllables (seventeen syllables in all). Feel free to do some research to learn more about them!

To Enter
Send your entries to GingaGuardian@GingaSite.net (be sure to include your GB username in the email!) or PM the user "Ginga Guardian." Multiple entries are allowed (there is no limit to how many times you can enter). You can only win one place and prize, but the more times you enter, the more chances you'll have to win!

Judging
The contest will be judged based on creativity and originality. For example, a haiku about the in-depth lessons and morals in the Ginga series may score better than a haiku about a popular character or fight scene.

Prizes
All of the entries will be displayed in the next issue of the Ginga Guardian, and the winner will get a $7 gift card to FutagoShop by Wolfie. However, in order for a winner to be chosen, at least 4 people must enter. If less than 4 people entered, those who participated will be featured here, but no winner will be chosen.

Ginga Holiday-themed Art - Entries and Winners!

Unfortunately four people did not enter the contest, therefore no winner can be chosen. The entry we received is displayed below!

Gbfromohu
Entry

+Quote Post
Ginga Guardian
Post #7

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

+Quote Post
Ginga Guardian
Post #8

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

We hope you've enjoyed this issue of the Ginga Guardian! You can discuss the issue and comment on its contents in the Ginga Guardian Discussion Topic - we're keeping all discussion of the newspaper in that one topic so that we can keep the forum clean.

Thank you so much for reading!

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 11:49 AM