IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Welcome to Ginga board
Members must read the board rules before posting.

GingaSite | Free Image Galleries | Link to us | Board Masterlist | Futago Shop
Ginga Archives: Tracon 2011 | Animecon 2012

Year 6: Issue 4 of The Ginga Guardian is now online!

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Contest Ideas?
Ginga Guardian
post May 20 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #1

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 711

If anyone has any ideas for contests for the Ginga Guardian, let us know here! smile.gif Right now we're looking for a few ideas for summer contests (perhaps something that requires members to go outside), but any ideas for any time of the year would also be welcomed. They can be art-related, trivia-related, any sort of Ginga-related, etc. Multiple-part contest ideas are also welcomed!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
charyasha
post May 21 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #2

Follower
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 594

maybe, a short ginga story contest. like a story about the ginga charters

+Quote Post
Kasi
post May 21 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #3

Not the only one
Group Icon

Group: FIG manager
Member No.: 13

Some ideas though not particularly good ones XD

Designing characters
Yoshihiro seems to work with a similar formula for his characters in GNG and GDW. Design three main characters that would take a similar role of GNG: Gin, John, Akame and GDW: Weed, Jerome, Kyoshiro.

Design the cover of next Weed manga volume
Since we all love to point out the use of photography in the Weed covers, members could go outside to take their own background photo, and using ginga images from the FIG arrange a new cover design.

Ultimate Villain
Design the ultimate Ginga villain. We've had giant bears, giant monkeys, huge packs of dogs and hybrid bears. Time for something even more outrageous!

This post has been edited by Kasi: May 21 2009, 01:44 AM

+Quote Post
Yukitora
post May 21 2009, 03:21 AM
Post #4

Your American idioms are driving me up the hall
Group Icon

Member No.: 217

OC Name Contest- Contest to see who can come up with the best name for an OC whose design will be created by a staff member.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 21 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #5

Howl to honor the ones fallen in battle...
Group Icon

Group: GB Adviser
Member No.: 9

I like an idea simila to the closed down contest but more serious. A design character contest where the character with the best and most real design wins.

The maker of the character must work extra hard on the character design but not make it looks unreal, they should follow the true colors and markings of that breed.

I also like the idea of a cover, maybe a funny contest to make a cover of a new upcoming season of Weed anime XD

+Quote Post
Alex
post May 21 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #6

Нервен тип
Group Icon

Member No.: 170

Im not very good at this stuff, but here it goes:

1. Design of the most original G-character (I would go for/prefer just a character, but this is Ginga Guardian after all). E.g. everyone just copies the breed (akita in most cases), numerous scars and some sad background. For this idea try something compleately different - a dog that is a copy to no other, completely different (not any of the G-breeds if possible and especially no akita), absolutely new design that is both new, but also Ginga friendly (for example miss Esk's dog drawings can't be a G-character as they look too realistic to fit into the art).

The maker of the character must work extra hard on the character design but not make it looks unreal, they should follow the true colors and markings of that breed.
(Mr. Raven's idea whick if, by my opinion, very good indeed - a vote from me.)

3. Enough with the drawing. A new and realistic story - kinda like the suggestion of miss Crystal. What I didn't like in both G's (and NEVER let you forget) was the unrealistic stories. So now is the time to create a new, more suited for dogs adventure that, if not realistic, atleast be closer to realism. But since that could take up to several hundred A4 pages, just limit it to somewhat 150-200 KB overfall text document devided in as many parts as you want (for example you can make 21 parts if you are doing GNG story - one part for each ep.)- I think it would be appropriate size as it's not exactly very short nor very long to read.

+Quote Post
Frozenstar
post May 21 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #7

BLAIDD DRWG
Group Icon

Member No.: 419

I like the ginga cover and character design ideas! Or, how about we have a contest where everyone submits photos THEY took of local dogs, and then there's a raffle to see who gets each picture. Each member could get two and have to transform those two dogs into Ginga characters. ( <-- But terrible idea is terrible.)

+Quote Post
SteelFangs
post May 21 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #8

battouga in the face
Group Icon

Group: GG Reporter
Member No.: 644

Actually I think It would be really neat if we had a contest of what the next Generation of Ginga would be.
We could make a new hero and son [or daughter!] of Weed. We could make up a background story and even say who Weed's mate is.

I know some have already done this for fan purposes but why not make a contest out of it as well?

Since there's so much extra info you could add [side characters, backgrounds, villains, etc.] it could be a drawn out contest over the summer like the other one.

And I like the idea of the an original cover for the next volume of Ginga. :]

+Quote Post
Frozenstar
post May 22 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #9

BLAIDD DRWG
Group Icon

Member No.: 419

I actually like that idea- the best plan for the next generation!

+Quote Post
Ginga Guardian
post May 22 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #10

GG Newspaper
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 711

These are all REALLY great ideas! We will probably run most of them at one point or another - thank you so much for all the suggestions (and please keep them coming!)

I have a question for you guys: I think we will probably run a "Design the next cover" contest very soon. Should we make it so that contestants draw their own pictures of the characteres on the covers, or use some pictures from the Free Image Galleries to put on the covers? We can only use one of those two options so that all the entries can be judged the same way.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 22 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #11

Howl to honor the ones fallen in battle...
Group Icon

Group: GB Adviser
Member No.: 9

I think it would be better to use images from the Free Image Gallery, it will be easier for everyone to enter and design the cover so it pretty much looks like a new release of a manga.

+Quote Post
jenny^^
post May 22 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #12

;two loves;one mouth;
Group Icon

Member No.: 399

Great idea! biggrin.gif,i will definately enter the contest when its published smile.gif

+Quote Post
caninesrock
post May 22 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #13

Is it written in the stars? Paradise but only for a day
Group Icon

Group: GG Reporter
Member No.: 214

How about a contest on who can create the best ginga-themed banner for the Ginga Guardian Paper?

+Quote Post
Alex
post May 22 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #14

Нервен тип
Group Icon

At one point it's better if you use the FIG since there are people here (including me) with less than bad drawing skills. But then again - this IS a contest so I'd say that it's better to sweat over something hand-made. What bothers me in any kind of drawing contest is the same thing - some people can draw better than others. Let's say (e.g.) that the contest is between three users - User A, User B and User C (I chose letters so no one can be offended or anything) - all artists, all have skills. But User A is superior to the others so you can say that he/she automatically wins since her/his skills by far surpass the skills of her/his co-users. See my point? If you decide to do a drawing contest (today, tomorrow, next year...) it would be good to put some kind of limits or something. But this is just a suggestion.

+Quote Post
Flann
post May 22 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #15

Retired Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Alex @ May 22 2009, 04:12 PM) *
At one point it's better if you use the FIG since there are people here (including me) with less than bad drawing skills. But then again - this IS a contest so I'd say that it's better to sweat over something hand-made. What bothers me in any kind of drawing contest is the same thing - some people can draw better than others. Let's say (e.g.) that the contest is between three users - User A, User B and User C (I chose letters so no one can be offended or anything) - all artists, all have skills. But User A is superior to the others so you can say that he/she automatically wins since her/his skills by far surpass the skills of her/his co-users. See my point? If you decide to do a drawing contest (today, tomorrow, next year...) it would be good to put some kind of limits or something. But this is just a suggestion.

With all of our contests that involve drawing or artistic skills, we NEVER judge based on talent. We judge based on creativity. smile.gif So, for instance, if we were to have the cover contest with pictures that people draw, we would judge it based on, say, how well the characters fit into the environment and how creatively they are interacting with the environment (for instance, if we had two people entering, and one was of superior art skill but the character just stood in front of the background, whereas the other was of lesser skill but the character was climbing a tree, the second person would win). Does that sound fair?

+Quote Post
Alex
post May 22 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #16

Нервен тип
Group Icon

Well it's your (GG) contest - your rules. I was just wondering since I was the only moron that appeared to be stuck by something (again). Sorry.
P.S.
Oh, yes, forgot - I'll keep quiet next time.

This post has been edited by Alex: May 22 2009, 11:45 PM

+Quote Post
Arano
post May 24 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #17

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Alex @ May 22 2009, 11:38 PM) *
Well it's your (GG) contest - your rules. I was just wondering since I was the only moron that appeared to be stuck by something (again). Sorry.
P.S.
Oh, yes, forgot - I'll keep quiet next time.

Hey heeeeeeey Alex, there was no need for that. You asked an important question and got a clear answer - you're not a moron and you don't need to keep quiet. In fact, I'm glad you asked because I was worried that if we were to have a contest involving drawing, I did wonder how it would be judged . Like you, I thought that because we have some very talented people on the board, they may have a clear advantage in such a situation.

This topic was created because coming up with fair contest ideas is very difficult, and worries such as these need to be addressed. The GG is community based, and the contests are created purely for fun guys! If you have any questions about the contests being considered, this is the place to ask them. We don't want to create a contest that limits who can enter =)

+Quote Post
Ginga Mad
post May 24 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #18

Omnomnomnomnom
Group Icon

Member No.: 810

I love the idea of Designing the Next Ginga Book Cover, Also I think it would be good to have an option of Drawing or useing the image in the FIG,
Also Like the one of making a magazine cover for the Ginga Guardian.

This post has been edited by Ginga Mad: May 24 2009, 12:14 AM

+Quote Post
Colmilloblanco
post May 28 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #19

Newcomer
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

personally, I like the idea of designing a new villain because as we all know there are many animals in Japan that might be a major obstacle for the ginga doggies
I also like the idea of designing the cover for ginga guardian

+Quote Post
Flann
post May 29 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #20

Retired Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! I think we've got a good many ideas for contests now. smile.gif Keep an eye on the GG to see when your suggestion might appear!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 02:58 PM